Neck pain is usually caused by stress or improper positioning of the neck. These pains usually tend to fade away in few days and do not even require any medical attention. But if the pain is chronic then there might be something to worry about.
Following are some of the reasons behind neck pains:
- Poor posture while watching the TV or reading a book.
- Bending on the desk for too long.
- Sleeping in an uncomfortable position.
- If the computer is positioned too high or low then working on it for prolonged hours.
Apart from falls, accidents and ailments like whiplash, blood vessel injury, vertebral fractures, fibromyalgia, cervical arthritis, ruptured disk, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, infections of the spine (osteomyelitis, diskitis, and abscess) and cancer involving the spine, most types of neck pains can be cured by the application of medications, physiotherapy and exercises.
It has been observed that neck pains are usually caused by strains and stress in the neck muscles. The muscles that usually get affected in case of a neck pain are:
- The Sub occipital muscles that rotate the head.
- The Pectoralis muscles that are situated at the upper part of the chest.
- The Scalene muscles that help in rotating the neck.
- The Subscapularis muscles that are near each of the shoulder joints.
- The Levator muscles that are located at the side and back of the neck.
The alignment of the head has to be optimal or else the neck can get predisposed to an injury or any degenerating effect. As mentioned above, poor sleeping posture or poor alignment of the body can cause neck pain. Some people walk with their back hunched and neck protruded forward. This can cause chronic neck pains unless the form is corrected. The most common treatments for neck pains are:
- Chiropractic treatment: A seasoned chiropractor can easily find out the cause behind neck pain and treat accordingly. A neck adjustment can often be the perfect solution to stop recurring problems. It will also cure the wrong biomechanics of the neck.
- Medicines: Some medicines can easily and effectively treat neck pains. NSIADs have been shown to give instant relief in some cases. But for best results, it is suggested to visit a physician rather than rely on over the counter medicines.
- Checking the pillows: It may sound funny but often the reason behind neck pains is pillows that are too high or low. Sleeping on such pillows for a few hours at a stretch can cause neck pains that persist throughout the day.
- Keeping the neck in a neutral position: Putting the neck in a biomechanically correct position for a few hours can make the pain go away. But the correct neck position must be maintained or else the pain will be back in no time.
Those were the basic treatments for neck muscle pain issues. Surgical treatments might be required if the problem persists or if it becomes unbearable. Like many other ailments, neck pain should not be ignored as well since it can be the symptom for a much more serious disease.