Sports massage is beneficial for all types of athletes, be it the world-class professionals or the weekend joggers. The sport massage techniques are mostly specific to the concerned sports and the athletes. The goal of the massage is to relax the muscles and prepare the muscles for aggressive and repetitive movements.
Sports massaging has gained its popularity by being a useful component in every balanced training regimen. It not only prepares the athletes for the events to come but also prepares him between different training routines. Certain specifically designed massages improve the endurance of the body. As mentioned earlier, it is beneficial for every person who goes through strenuous physical activities. In fact people who undertake intermittent sporting sessions might need it more than seasoned athletes.
Sports Massage helps the body to respond in two ways:
- The reflex response when the nerves get stimulated.
- The mechanical response, resulting in the pressure and movement in softer tissues of the body.
Following are a few benefits of sports massage:
- The Physical Benefits: Massage enhances soft tissue permeability by widening the pores and allowing the fluids and nutrients to pass through them easily. It allows the waste products to be removed instantly from the body and oxygen and vital nutrients are delivered to the required muscles. The massage removes and alleviates spasms, scar tissues, adhesions and knots in the muscles. The massage softens and lengthens the muscles which reduce chances of tendonitis, shin splints and ITB syndrome.
- The Physiological Benefits: The massage reduces the pain in the muscles and reduces the tension building in them. Most athletes prefer sports massage when they are requiring from an injury.
- The Psychological Benefits: It refreshes mind, reduces anxiety and invigorates the bodily responses.
Sports massage has been developed to keep athletes in optimum shape throughout the year, even during the off seasons. Since modern sport has vastly improved over the last few decades and it is very taxing on the body, more and more athletes are requiring the help of this technique all over the world. Following are a few direct benefits of regular sports massage:
• Reducing muscle tension.
• Draining fatigue.
• Relieving swelling.
• Improving muscle flexibility.
• Preventing injuries resulting from overexertion.
• Relieving pain.
• Treating injuries like tennis elbow, corked thighs, sprains, shin splints and strains.
• Increasing the blood circulation.
• Improving the blood pressure and heart rate.
• Helping in joint mobility.
Chiropractors are often adept at providing great sports massage, especially if the trouble is with back muscles. Sports like swimming and gymnastics can put a lot of pressure on back muscles and the best way to get rid of muscle injuries is regular sessions of sports massage from an experienced chiropractor.
Sports massage, if applied effectively can make you feel fresh and ready for the next training session or the next game. Once opted for, you will notice the difference only after a few massaging sessions. Have injury free sporting career with sports massage.