There is a two way communication between the skin and all organs, glands, and tissue of the body; by stimulating certain skin parts, the progress of the conditions cannot only be arrested but even reversed, bringing the patient back to health with normal function.
Levels of Acupuncture Use & Treatment:
- Pain Control (treat at site of pain)
- Bi-Formula (cookbook recipe)
- Classic/Traditional (instrument, pulse dx, etc)
Qi – Bipolar electromagnetic energetic power flow; the energy power flow that runs the body and heals the body; the life source or vital force. Dis-ease is caused by Qi-interference.
Qi circulates 3 ways:
- Superficial – through the 12 meridians, classic flow.
- Deep – organ to organ, between the 5 elements.
- Luo – between the coupled meridians.
Meridian – A channel of energy flow. What affects a meridian can affect anything along the meridians (ie. organs, glands, and tissues) Runs on a 24-hour cycle. An example of meridian imbalance can be stress. Total Meridians 71: 12 main, 8 extra, 12 divergent, 15 collateral, 12 muscle, and 12 cutaneous.
- 361 electroenergy points lie along 12 main meridians, conception vessel, and governing vessel. Each lie 1/8 inch subepidermal.
- Over 200 points in the ear and over 1000 on the entire body.
- Distal points are more effective than proximal points.
12 types of acupuncture points exist:
- Tonification – increase energy flow into a meridian.
- Sedation – decrease energy flow from a meridian.
- Source points – amphoteric (increase or decrease energy based on body needs) located at wrists and ankles.
- Alarm points – “Moo pts” located on the front of the body.
- Associated points – “Bei Shu pts” points located on the bladder meridian.
- Connecting points – “Luo pts” connects coupled meridians and 5 elements.
- Entry – where energy enters
- Exit – where energy exits
- Horary – points that treat own meridian, for chronic conditions.
- Accumulation – treat for acute conditions, quick results.
- Intersection – where two or more channels or extraordinary vessels intersect.
- Element – between elbows/fingers and knees/toes.
Midday-Midnight Law – follows the 24-hour circadian rhythm. Various symptoms are more pronounced in the two hour time frame and treatment is most effective at that time.
- Nine different types
- Painless due to small diameter.
- Smaller gauge needles are used to treat face, ear, or other superficial points.
- Larger gauge needles are used to treat muscular points, deep needles and electrotherapy.
Tei-Shen – non-piercing method used to stimulate acupoint.
Electrical Stimulation – can be used in conjunction with needling.