Injury is the last thing an active person would want to face in their life especially an athlete. But, you will be amazed to know that the biggest reason for most of the fitness-related or sports injuries is not being attentive towards one’s body. Though you cannot always stay safe from injuries, certain injuries can be avoided if you follow theses pointers:
- If you feel sick then you should take some time off
- If you feel pain in any part of your body, avoid trainings or exercises
- If you already have an injury, give it time to heal
If you are an athlete, being side-lined is the worst part of the career, which affects not just the body but the mind also. The process of complete recovery can often be long winded. You need to have mental tenacity as well. It is important to set small fitness milestones and try to achieve those.
Following are some of the common sports injuries around the world:
- Strain: This is the condition when a muscle of tendon on the body gets strained. Especially that part of the muscle that is connected to the bone.
- Fracture: This happens when the bones of the body get broken or shattered.
- Sprain: Tearing off the ligament that is caused by a stretch.
- Contusion: This is the condition where muscles may get swollen or start to bleed from a direct impact.
- Laceration: A deep cut that requires stitches.
- Abrasion: A scrape on the skin that usually does not need stitches.
RICE method is proven method towards fast and complete recovery from different types of sports injuries. It is the acronym for the Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation steps:
R– Stands for Rest. Take complete rest from the sport you are playing. If you are required to use any sort of support like crutches or artificial joints, do that without hesitation and give your limb time to heal to the point when you feel no pain.
I– Stands for Ice. Application of ice is very important. It’s common sense to ice the joint (ice for at least 20 minutes after the injury), continue icing the injured joint every three hours. Though ice blocks can be used, a bag of crushed frozen peas will be better.
C– The ACE wrap or elastic sleeve (a kind of elastic bandage) helps in limiting the swelling to the injured area. You can get them easily from your local chemist.
E– The last one is elevation. For injuries to the ankle or knee, elevating the point above the heart level helps a lot. If you are at home, keep a bunch of pillows under the leg and elevate. For elbows, using a sling can be useful.
For an athlete, an injury comes with a lot of mixed feelings of sadness, denial, anger and some even go into depression. It is very important to overcome these negative feelings because it is only you who can get yourself back on your feet. Doctor can only treat and family/friends can only motivate. If you deal your matter head-on you will feel graceful and be more focused in your life as an athlete and a human. Maintain your fitness level, use the appropriate equipment, follow warm-up and cool-down regimes and you will stay safe from serious injuries.